Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kaudiocreator Returns in KDE4

UPDATE on Kaudiocreator:

Thanks to Apachelogger, the KaudioCreator package is now available as part of kdemultimedia https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search?text=kaudiocreator. This is the BEST cd-ripper I've ever used, and I hope the wonderfulness came across to KDE4.

The programmer can be contacted on KDE-Apps: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KAudioCreator?content=107645

Audex is also available; somewhat of a fork of this wonderful program. Thanks so much to the programmer to porting to KDE4. I appreciate it very much!

PS: Audex can be found here: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Audex?content=77125

I also like Sound Juicer, but reinstalling it would have pulled in about 20 other packages, so no! I'm now happily ripping a classical CD, by the way. :-)

Oh, and by the way, I know I can rip CDs inside of Amarok, and I'm glad for that capability. But I'm pretty picky about tags, and like to rip to a directory outside of my collection, so I can check the tags before moving the files inside my collection. That way Amarok displays everything correctly from first play.

Followup note: While I still try KAudioCreator first, I have to use Sound Juicer about a quarter of the time in Lucid. While K "allows" edits to what it finds from Freedb, some those edits aren't used! Also, if the CD has any scratches, it tends to go into a tizzy, and have to be killed. Audex now crashes on startup every time, and leaves me no backtrace. I guess I could run in gdb, but really, no debugging package available? So Sound Juicer is a good fallback, even with all those dependencies. I also tried RipperX again -- still UGH! and also the CLI program abcde. Not only too techie for me, also no choices of tracks or tags.